- Hypertension, hypercholesterolemia
- Current medications
- Calcium channel blocker
- Past smoker (<1 pack per day x 10 years)
- No significant alcohol history
Presentation and examination
- Patient presents with neck mass and sore throat
- Palpable mass, right level II lymph node
- Endoscopy reveals ~3 cm lesion on right tonsil extending to base of tongue, confirmed by CT scan
- Biopsy reveals moderately differentiated squamous cell carcinoma (SCC)
- Head and neck/chest CT scans show a 3.5 cm right side, level II lymph node but no distant metastases
- HPV testing by in situ hybridization revealed that the lesion was HPV+
Karnofsky performance status
- Pretreatment CT imaging confirms a right tonsillar tumor extending toward the tongue base
- No evidence of distant metastatic spread
- T2N2aM0 (Stage IVA) SCC of the oropharynx
*A hypothetical patient case study.
CT=computerized tomography; HPV=human papillomavirus.
ERBITUX + radiation therapy (RT) may be right for this patient.
Pinch-zoom to view a larger imageReset
Scans used with permission from owner.